Wednesday, December 12, 2007

the alberta government stops mumps vaccinations

So I love the chance to say "I told you so". I TOLD YOU SO. Last night I was watching the news, and for once, I felt happy. Two weeks ago, Connor and I discussed the mass vaccination program that was happening in Calgary in response to a small outbreak of the mumps. Well, it seems the Alberta government has since halted the use of mumps vaccine after 5 people suffered serious side effects following administration of the vaccine. We are so groundbreaking here at bitches and homos.

I would also like to share a link with "everyone" that will make you think twice about the health benefits of dairy products. http://www.notmilk.com/
I have been attempting to eliminate dairy products from my diet. It's tough, frick. I love cheese, I love chocolate, and how can I live without that delicious cream in my coffee? I break down sometimes, I admit. To be a conscious/consciencious consumer is burdensome at times. I can see why people want to bury their head in the sand. The information is disturbing and the problem is SOOOO BIG. Not to mention to cost of buying organic, fair trade, and environmentally friendly products.
A few tidbits of information from the site:
1. Dairy has been linked to breast cancer, Crohn's disease, cancers, autism, adhd, alzheimer's to name a few.
2. Chocolate - thousands of children are kidnapped or sold into slavery to work on cocoa plantations in West Africa.
3. The information about Monsanto will blow your hair back.
4. Milk proteins in dairy are specifically made for cows not people. The proteins found in dairy have been linked with breast cancer, among other cancers. Read why, my little brain cannot summerize or paraphrase the information.
5. I couldn't read the links that pertain to animal abuses, but, well...poor cows.
6. Milk gives you zits.
As well, this site provides many links to information about the environmental havoc reaked by the dairy, meat, and commercial fishing industry.

No comments: